Super Mario Bros. Z (Episode 1) Super Mario Bros. Z (Episode 1)

The original sprite masterpiece has returned, and it's back in its final form!

Super Mario Bros. Z was a sensation when it first came out on NG more than 10 years ago, and it seems the hype has stood the test of time. Blending the mythology of both Mario and Sonic video games into one megalithic Dragon Ball Z-esque epic, this is the what-if story of Mecha Sonic hunting down Chaos Emeralds in the Mushroom Kingdom, and the ensuing team-up between Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Shadow, and Yoshi. The original story gave us a Mario Kart Double-dash race instead of a Smash Brawl in the first episode, but the narrative remains the same: Mario is having an outing with his pals when Bowser shows up to ruin the day. This version is arguably better not just because it has more action, but because it demonstrates Wario's combat skills, something the original series never did. Top that with the incredible fireball showdowns, razed earth, and shattered tournament grounds (all with some clever One Punch Man references), this is no upgrade to snuff at---SMBZ is STILL a sensation for our generation.

The animation quality is the mark of a master, featuring original sprites and sound effects that create solid, impact-driven fight scenes that relentlessly pay homage to the anime series this is based on. There's some unfortunate pixelation that comes from upscaling the sprites this time around, but the episode redeems itself by adding some fairly emotional close-ups hand drawn by a fellow animator. Unique to Mark Haynes' animation is the frequent hilarity that ensues, from Waluigi turning up in a trophy to Mario getting drilled into the ground by his own hammer. More than anything else, this is what we came for in the original series, this is what we're here for now, and this is what'll keep us watching.

On behalf of everyone on Newgrounds, welcome back, SMBZ!

The Reward The Reward

This is really inspiring work. Animation and story are off the charts awesome. It's also cool how there was no voice acting, yet there was -- yet there wasn't -- and all the emotions of the characters still got across. I'd definitely enjoy this as a series!

Pokeball Z Pokeball Z

Started off interesting, then...became sort of meh. I didn't really find it funny. Good animation though, wish we could've seen more action.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4 Epic Battle Fantasy 4

I'm here looking for something to play that isn't Pokemon Showdown or a GBA Rom, and so I stumble on Newgrounds entirely by chance, click on Games, and right there, game #1 on the brand-spankin' new games list, is this glorious sequel of supreme unwithering awesomeness of a game.

What am I going to do, close my browser and get off the Internets? Heck no.

Brilliant game, fantastic mechanics, this review is a waste of everyone's time because it's intruding on everyone's game time, good job Matt here's five moar stahs.

Cathode Raybots Cathode Raybots

Immensely fun and original game! It's fun to play other players' bots, though I wish there were more dynamic ways to both record bot patterns and fight as a human. Guess we'll leave that for part 2? Fingers are crossed.

New York Shark New York Shark

Great little gem of a game right here. Died laughing when I killed Spidey.

I found a glitch where if you press Esc, you restart the level, then automatically go to the meteor drop about five seconds later. Got my NY hat bonus by accident this way. :P

Cookie Cutter Cookie Cutter

Lit.

Zooloo75 responds:

With kerosene.

SwapP SwapP

The dudes chopping wood in the background make this track. Fantastic stuff. Needs to be longer though, or else filed under "loop". (It does loop perfectly now that I checked.)

AinigmA responds:

Thanks! I really love crawling through the internet finding some random (of course freely usable) audio samples :)

And you're right, it is supposed to be a loop. Somehow i can't change it.

Cheers and thanks for your words!

Perdedor Perdedor

What the last guy said. This is highly fucks-withable.

YuyoPR responds:

Thanks man
Much appreciated!

Oh Mai!!! Oh Mai!!!

Gross.

Ew, that's where poop comes from. What kind of angle is that, jeez, ew.

Okay, of course I'm kidding; this is pretty good work, except for the lame coloring going on. Shadows seem to be having a field day on her body.

I like that you put another, smaller painting in the arcade screen though. Cool little tidbit.