Super Mario Bros. Z (Episode 1) Super Mario Bros. Z (Episode 1)

The original sprite masterpiece has returned, and it's back in its final form!

Super Mario Bros. Z was a sensation when it first came out on NG more than 10 years ago, and it seems the hype has stood the test of time. Blending the mythology of both Mario and Sonic video games into one megalithic Dragon Ball Z-esque epic, this is the what-if story of Mecha Sonic hunting down Chaos Emeralds in the Mushroom Kingdom, and the ensuing team-up between Mario, Luigi, Sonic, Shadow, and Yoshi. The original story gave us a Mario Kart Double-dash race instead of a Smash Brawl in the first episode, but the narrative remains the same: Mario is having an outing with his pals when Bowser shows up to ruin the day. This version is arguably better not just because it has more action, but because it demonstrates Wario's combat skills, something the original series never did. Top that with the incredible fireball showdowns, razed earth, and shattered tournament grounds (all with some clever One Punch Man references), this is no upgrade to snuff at---SMBZ is STILL a sensation for our generation.

The animation quality is the mark of a master, featuring original sprites and sound effects that create solid, impact-driven fight scenes that relentlessly pay homage to the anime series this is based on. There's some unfortunate pixelation that comes from upscaling the sprites this time around, but the episode redeems itself by adding some fairly emotional close-ups hand drawn by a fellow animator. Unique to Mark Haynes' animation is the frequent hilarity that ensues, from Waluigi turning up in a trophy to Mario getting drilled into the ground by his own hammer. More than anything else, this is what we came for in the original series, this is what we're here for now, and this is what'll keep us watching.

On behalf of everyone on Newgrounds, welcome back, SMBZ!

The Reward The Reward

This is really inspiring work. Animation and story are off the charts awesome. It's also cool how there was no voice acting, yet there was -- yet there wasn't -- and all the emotions of the characters still got across. I'd definitely enjoy this as a series!

Pokeball Z Pokeball Z

Started off interesting, then...became sort of meh. I didn't really find it funny. Good animation though, wish we could've seen more action.

Villainy - The Meh Escape Villainy - The Meh Escape

Solid production right here. My only gripe is that this isn't a 24 min episode, like it should be. Whatev, I'll wait patiently for the next ep.

Oh and Harry Partridge is AWESOME as Captain Stalwart!

Oxbow Lakes Oxbow Lakes

Why can't I stop watching... What sorcery is this?

Bounty + Hunter Bounty + Hunter

YOU DO KNOW IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO GIVE THIS LESS THAN FIVE STARS WITH SUCH GOOD GRAPHICS, ANIMATION AND AUDIO EFFECTS RIGHT. OKAY THEN.

Five mutha's outta five. And a fav.

Eternal Saturday Eternal Saturday

It's like Salad Fingers all over again, except not quite as creepy or humorous.

Zetabrand: Exceed Zetabrand: Exceed

I knew Nhazul and Tentionmaru would kill it. Fricken' spectacular guys, really hardcore stuff.

WGJ4K: Confirmed 4 Brawl WGJ4K: Confirmed 4 Brawl

Love this series--great animation and totally hilarious.

|~Enemy In The Snow~| |~Enemy In The Snow~|

Nice animation, story, music, sound effects, voice acting, everything. Although, in Soviet Russia, Snow is in the Enemy.

Just sayin'